Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) The provisions of AS 45.48.100--45.48.290 do not apply to the use of a credit report by
(1) a person, the person's subsidiary, affiliate, or agent, or the person's assignee with whom a consumer has or, before the assignment, had an account, contract, or debtor-creditor relationship if the purpose of the use is to review the consumer's account or to collect a financial obligation owing on the account, contract, or debt;
(2) a subsidiary, an affiliate, an agent, an assignee, or a prospective assignee of a person to whom access has been granted under AS 45.48.130 if the purpose of the use is to facilitate the extension of credit or another permissible use;
(3) a person acting under a court order, warrant, or subpoena;
(4) an agency of a state or municipality that administers a program for establishing and enforcing child support obligations;
(5) the Department of Health and Social Services, its agents, or its assigns when investigating fraud;
(6) the Department of Revenue, its agents, or its assigns when investigating or collecting delinquent taxes or unpaid court orders or when implementing its other statutory responsibilities;
(7) a person if the purpose of the use is prescreening allowed under 15 U.S.C. 1681b(c) (Fair Credit Reporting Act);
(8) a person administering a credit file monitoring subscription service to which the consumer has subscribed;
(9) a person providing a consumer with a copy of the consumer's credit report or credit score at the consumer's request;
(10) a person if the database or file of the consumer credit reporting agency consists entirely of information concerning and used solely for one or more of the following purposes:
(A) criminal record information;
(B) personal loss history information;
(C) fraud prevention or detection;
(D) tenant screening; or
(E) employment screening; or
(11) a person for use for insurance purposes in setting a rate, adjusting a rate, adjusting a claim, or underwriting, except that this paragraph may not be interpreted to authorize an insurance practice that is prohibited by other law; this paragraph may not be interpreted to affect AS 21.36.460 or AS 21.39.035.
(b) Except as provided by AS 45.48.190, the provisions of AS 45.48.100--45.48.290 do not apply to a person when acting only as a reseller of consumer information.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Alaska Statutes Title 45. Trade and Commerce § 45.48.210. Exemptions - last updated April 21, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ak/title-45-trade-and-commerce/ak-st-sect-45-48-210/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.