Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) A bailee shall deliver the goods to a person entitled under a document of title if the person complies with (b) and (c) of this section, unless and to the extent that the bailee establishes any of the following:
(1) delivery of the goods to a person whose receipt was rightful as against the claimant;
(2) damage to or delay, loss, or destruction of the goods for which the bailee is not liable;
(3) previous sale or other disposition of the goods in lawful enforcement of a lien or on a warehouse's lawful termination of storage;
(4) the exercise by a seller of its right to stop delivery under AS 45.02.705 or by a lessor of its right to stop delivery under AS 45.12.526;
(5) a diversion, reconsignment, or other disposition under AS 45.07.303;
(6) release, satisfaction, or another personal defense against the claimant; or
(7) another lawful excuse.
(b) A person claiming goods covered by a document of title shall satisfy the bailee's lien if the bailee requests the person to satisfy the lien or if the bailee is prohibited by law from delivering the goods until the charges are paid.
(c) Unless the person claiming the goods is a person against whom the document of title does not confer a right under AS 45.07.503(a),
(1) the person claiming under a document shall surrender possession or control of an outstanding negotiable document covering the goods for cancellation or indication of partial deliveries; and
(2) the bailee shall cancel the document or conspicuously indicate in the document the partial delivery, or the bailee is liable to a person to whom the document is duly negotiated.
(d) Repealed by SLA 2009, ch. 44, § 113, eff. January 1, 2010.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Alaska Statutes Title 45. Trade and Commerce § 45.07.403. Obligation of bailee to deliver; excuse - last updated April 21, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ak/title-45-trade-and-commerce/ak-st-sect-45-07-403/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.