Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) Positions in the partially exempt service are included in the position classification plan established under this chapter and are compensated according to the pay plan under AS 39.27.011.
(b) A person holding a position in the partially exempt service is not required to complete an assessment and is not eligible for a hearing by the personnel board in case of dismissal, demotion, or suspension. Positions in the partially exempt service are specifically exempt from the rules established under AS 39.25.150(3)--(10), (12), (13), and (16).
(c) The following positions in the state service constitute the partially exempt service:
(1) deputy and assistant commissioners of the principal departments of the executive branch, including the assistant adjutant general of the Department of Military and Veterans' Affairs;
(2) the directors of the major divisions of the principal departments of the executive branch and the regional directors of the Department of Transportation and Public Facilities;
(3) attorney members of the staff of the Department of Law, of the public defender agency, and of the office of public advocacy in the Department of Administration;
(4) one private secretary for each head of a principal department in the executive branch;
(5) employees of councils, boards, or commissions established by statute in the Office of the Governor or the office of the lieutenant governor, unless a different classification is provided by statute;
(6) not more than two special assistants to the commissioner of each of the principal departments of the executive branch, but the number may be increased if the partially exempt service is extended under AS 39.25.130 to include the additional special assistants;
(7) the principal executive officer of the following boards, councils, or commissions:
(A) Alaska Public Broadcasting Commission;
(B) Professional Teaching Practices Commission;
(C) Parole Board;
(D) Board of Nursing;
(E) Real Estate Commission;
(F) Alaska Royalty Oil and Gas Development Advisory Board;
(G) Alaska State Council on the Arts;
(H) Alaska Police Standards Council;
(I) Alaska Commission on Aging;
(J) Alaska Mental Health Board;
(K) State Medical Board;
(L) Governor's Council on Disabilities and Special Education;
(M) Advisory Board on Alcoholism and Drug Abuse;
(N) Statewide Suicide Prevention Council;
(O) State Board of Registration for Architects, Engineers, and Land Surveyors;
(P) Alaska Health Care Commission;
(Q) Board of Pharmacy;
(8) Alaska Pioneers' Home and Alaska Veterans' Home managers;
(9) hearing examiners in the Department of Revenue;
(10) the comptroller in the division of treasury, Department of Revenue;
(11) airport managers in the Department of Transportation and Public Facilities employed at the Anchorage and Fairbanks International Airports;
(12) the deputy director of the division of insurance in the Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development;
(13) the executive director and staff of the Alaska Public Offices Commission;
(14) the rehabilitation administrator of the division of workers' compensation;
(15) guards employed by the Department of Public Safety for emergencies;
(16) marine pilot coordinator of the Board of Marine Pilots;
(17) guards employed by the Department of Corrections, other than in state correctional facilities, to carry out the responsibility of the commissioner of corrections under AS 33.30.071(b);
(18) hearing officers and administrative law judges of the Regulatory Commission of Alaska;
(19) the compact administrator appointed under AS 33.36.130;
(20) the chief administrative law judge and administrative law judges of the office of administrative hearings;
(21) the executive secretary of the Board of Public Accountancy.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Alaska Statutes Title 39. Public Officers and Employees § 39.25.120. Partially exempt service - last updated April 21, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ak/title-39-public-officers-and-employees/ak-st-sect-39-25-120/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?