Skip to main content

Alaska Statutes Title 38. Public Land § 38.09.030. Qualification for homestead entry

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a) An applicant for a homestead entry permit shall

(1) submit proof acceptable to the commissioner that the applicant is at least 18 years of age and has been a resident of the state for not less than one year immediately before the date of application;

(2) pay a fee of $5 per acre according to the description provided by the applicant if the entry is on land classified agricultural, or $10 per acre if the entry is on land not classified agricultural;

(3) agree to comply with the requirements of AS 38.09.050;

(4) certify that the corners of the land entered have been staked and the boundaries have been flagged;

(5) assume full responsibility for the accuracy of the description of the land filed with the commissioner under AS 38.09.020(b).

(b) Except as provided in (c) of this section, an applicant may not hold more than one homestead entry permit at one time and may not receive a patent to more than one homestead entry in a lifetime.

(c) The homestead entry permit may not be assigned, conveyed, or in any manner transferred except

(1) by testate or intestate succession;

(2) to a spouse during marriage;

(3) by order of a court as part of a divorce settlement;

(4) to either a member of the immediate family or a grantee of the applicant in the case of an extreme emergency or illness which disables the applicant;  or

(5) after the approval of the commissioner, by an exchange between parties in the same homestead area.

Cite this article: - Alaska Statutes Title 38. Public Land § 38.09.030. Qualification for homestead entry - last updated April 21, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard