Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) A spouse acting alone may manage and control
(1) that spouse's property that is not community property;
(2) except as provided in (c) of this section, community property held in that spouse's name alone or not held in the name of either spouse;
(3) a policy of insurance if that spouse is designated as the owner on the records of the issuer of the policy;
(4) the rights of an employee under an arrangement for deferred employment benefits that accrue as a result of that spouse's employment;
(5) a claim for relief vested in that spouse by other law;
(6) community property held in the names of both spouses in the alternative, including using the names of both spouses with the word “or.”
(b) Spouses may not manage and control community property held in the names of both spouses other than in the alternative unless they act together.
(c) The right to manage and control community property that is transferred to a trust, including property that is community property under the trust, is determined by the terms of the trust.
(d) The right to manage and control community property does not determine the classification of property of the spouses and does not rebut the presumption of AS 34.77.030(b).
(e) The right to manage and control community property does not permit gifts of the property, except to the extent provided in AS 34.77.050.
(f) Except to the extent otherwise expressly provided in a community property agreement or a community property trust, the right to manage and control the property of spouses is not affected by this chapter if the property is acquired before the determination date.
(g) A court may appoint a conservator or guardian to exercise a disabled spouse's right to manage and control community property.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Alaska Statutes Title 34. Property § 34.77.040. Management and control of property of spouses - last updated April 21, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ak/title-34-property/ak-st-sect-34-77-040/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?