Alaska Statutes Title 21. Insurance § 21.45.140. Beneficiary, industrial policies

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

An industrial life insurance policy must have the name of the beneficiary designated on it with a reservation of the right to designate or change the beneficiary after the issuance of the policy.  The policy may also provide that no designation or change of beneficiary shall be binding on the insurer until endorsed on the policy by the insurer, and that the insurer may refuse to endorse the name of proposed beneficiary who does not appear to the insurer to have an insurable interest in the life of the insured.  The policy may also provide that if the beneficiary designated in the policy does not make a claim under the policy or does not surrender the policy with due proof of death within the period stated in the policy, which may not be less than 30 days after the death of the insured, or if the beneficiary is the estate of the insured, or is a minor, or dies before the insured, or is not legally competent to give a valid release, the insurer may pay the proceeds to the executor or administrator of the insured, or to any relative of the insured by blood or legal adoption or connection by marriage, or to any person appearing to the insurer to be equitably entitled to the proceeds by reason of having been named beneficiary, or by reason of having incurred expense for the maintenance, medical attention, or burial of the insured.  The policy may also include a similar provision applicable to other payments due under the policy.

Cite this article: - Alaska Statutes Title 21. Insurance § 21.45.140. Beneficiary, industrial policies - last updated April 21, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard