Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) A law enforcement agency shall adopt procedures for the use of unmanned aircraft systems. The procedures adopted under this section must require, at a minimum, that the law enforcement agency
(1) obtain any authorization, permit, or certificate required by the Federal Aviation Administration to operate the unmanned aircraft system;
(2) allow the unmanned aircraft system to be operated only by unmanned aircraft system pilots and crew members who have been trained and certified in the operation of the unmanned aircraft system and only under the supervision of officials trained in the policies and procedures governing the use of the unmanned aircraft system;
(3) provide that the flight of an unmanned aircraft system be approved by the commissioner or deputy commissioner of public safety or the chief administrative officer of the law enforcement agency or the officer's designee;
(4) ensure that the flight of an unmanned aircraft system be for a public purpose;
(5) maintain a record of each flight, including the time, date, and purpose of the flight, and the identity of the authorizing official;
(6) establish an auditable flight record system, including the documentation of a change in a flight time record;
(7) establish a method for notifying the public of the operation of an unmanned aircraft system, unless notifying the public would endanger the safety of a person;
(8) provide for community involvement in the development of the policies required in this section, including the consideration of public comment.
(b) In this section, “chief administrative officer” has the meaning given in AS 18.65.290.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Alaska Statutes Title 18. Health, Safety, Housing, Human Rights, and Public Defender § 18.65.901. Operational requirements for unmanned aircraft systems - last updated April 21, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ak/title-18-health-safety-housing-human-rights-and-public-defender/ak-st-sect-18-65-901/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.