Wyoming Statutes Title 31. Motor Vehicles § 31-5-1303. Child safety restraint system;  required use;  exception

(a) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (b) of this section, no person shall operate a passenger vehicle in this state unless each child who is a passenger in that vehicle and who has not reached his ninth birthday is properly secured in a child safety restraint system in a seat of the vehicle other than the front seat, except if the vehicle is only equipped with one (1) row of seats, or if all safety belts in the rows of seats behind the front seat are in use by other child passengers in the vehicle, the child may be properly secured in a child safety restraint system in the front passenger seat of the vehicle, except that a rear-facing infant seat shall not be placed in front of an active airbag.

(b) Any child who is within the age requirements specified in subsection (a) of this section need not be properly secured in a child safety restraint system if:

(i) A licensed physician has determined that the weight or physical or medical condition of the child requires that the child not be secured in such a system.  The person operating a passenger vehicle transporting such a child shall carry in the vehicle the physician's signed statement certifying that the child should not be secured in a child restraint system;

(vi) The driver of the vehicle is rendering aid or assistance to the child or his parent or guardian;

(vii) The lap and shoulder belts of the vehicle will fit properly across the collarbone, chest and hips of the child and the belts do not pose a danger to the neck, face or abdominal area of the child in the event of a crash or sudden stop.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard