Wyoming Statutes Title 1. Code of Civil Procedure § 1-3-105. Actions other than recovery of real property

(a) Civil actions other than for the recovery of real property can only be brought within the following periods after the cause of action accrues:

(i) Within ten (10) years, an action upon a specialty or any contract, agreement or promise in writing;

(ii) Within eight (8) years, an action:

(A) Upon a contract not in writing, either express or implied;  or

(B) Upon a liability created by statute other than a forfeiture or penalty.

(iii) Within five (5) years after the debtor establishes residence in Wyoming, an action on a foreign claim, judgment or contract, express or implied, contracted or incurred and accrued before the debtor became a resident of Wyoming;

(iv) Within four (4) years, an action for:

(A) Trespass upon real property;

(B) The recovery of personal property or for taking, detaining or injuring personal property;

(C) An injury to the rights of the plaintiff, not arising on contract and not herein enumerated;  and

(D) For relief on the ground of fraud.

(v) Within one (1) year, an action for:

(A) Libel or slander;

(B) Assault or battery not including sexual assault;

(C) Malicious prosecution or false imprisonment;  or

(D) Upon a statute for a penalty or forfeiture, except that if a different limitation is prescribed in the statute by which the remedy is given the action shall be brought within the period prescribed by the statute.

(b) Notwithstanding subsection (a) of this section, a civil action based upon sexual assault as defined by W.S. 6-2-301(a)(v) against a minor may be brought within the later of:

(i) Eight (8) years after the minor's eighteenth birthday;  or

(ii) Three (3) years after the discovery.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard