West Virginia Code Chapter 44A. West Virginia Guardianship and Conservatorship Act § 44A-4-4. Removal of guardian or conservator

Upon the petition of any interested person or upon the motion of the court, the court may remove a guardian or conservator or order other appropriate relief if the guardian or conservator:

(1) Is acting under an order entered pursuant to material misrepresentation or mistake, whether fraudulent or innocent;

(2) Has an incapacity or illness, including substance abuse, which affects his or her fitness to perform or is adjudged to be a protected person in this or in any other jurisdiction;

(3) Is convicted of a crime which reflects upon his or her fitness to perform;

(4) Wastes or mismanages the estate, unreasonably withholds distributions or makes distributions in a negligent or reckless manner or otherwise abuses powers or fails to discharge duties;

(5) Neglects the care and custody of the protected person or legal dependents;

(6) Has an interest adverse to the faithful performance of duties such that there is a substantial risk that the guardian or conservator will fail to properly perform those duties;

(7) Fails to file reports or accountings when required, or fails to comply with any court order;

(8) Fails to file sufficient bond after being ordered by the court to do so;

(9) Avoids service of process or notice;

(10) Becomes incapable of performing duties;  or

(11) Is not acting in the best interests of the protected person or of the estate, with or without fault.  The court may appoint a temporary guardian pending a determination on a petition for removal of a guardian or conservator.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.