Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(1) Upon the petition of the operator, but not less than 4 years after notification to the department by the operator of the completion of the reclamation plan, if the department finds after conducting a hearing that the operator has completed reclamation for any portion of the mining site in accordance with the reclamation plan and this chapter, the department shall issue a certificate of completion setting forth a description of the area reclaimed and a statement that the operator has fulfilled its duties under the reclamation plan as to that area.
(2) Upon the issuance of any certificate of completion under sub. (1) for any portion of the mining site, but not for the entire mining site, the department shall allow the operator to reduce the amount of the bond to an amount which shall equal the estimated cost of reclamation of the portion of the mining site which is disturbed or for which reclamation has been completed but no certificate of completion has been issued.
(3) Upon issuance of a certificate or certificates of completion of reclamation for the entire mining site, the department shall require that the operator maintain a bond equal to at least 10 percent of the cost to the state of reclamation of the entire mining site if mining of the site was wholly underground, and at least 20 percent of the cost to the state of reclamation of the entire mining site if any surface mining was conducted. Where the mining site in the mining plan is less than 10 acres, the department may release the bond after issuance of the certificate under sub. (1).
(4) After 20 years after the issuance of a certificate or certificates of completion for the entire mining site, the department shall release the bond if the department finds that the reclamation plan has been complied with.
(5) The department shall, by rule, establish a procedure for release of reclamation bonds for prospecting sites similar to subs. (1) to (4), but with shorter time periods.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Wisconsin Statutes Environmental Regulation (Ch. 280 to 299) § 293.63. Certificate of completion, partial completion and bond release - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/wi/environmental-regulation-ch-280-to-299/wi-st-293-63.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?