Skip to main content

Wisconsin Statutes Corporations (Ch. 180 to 188) § 181.1501. Authority to transact business required

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(1) In general. A foreign corporation may not transact business in this state until it obtains a certificate of authority from the department.

(2) Permitted activities. The following activities, among others, do not constitute transacting business in this state within the meaning of this subchapter:

(a) Maintaining, defending or settling any civil, criminal, administrative or investigatory proceeding.

(b) Holding meetings of the board or members or carrying on other activities concerning internal corporate affairs.

(c) Maintaining bank accounts.

(d) Maintaining offices or agencies for the transfer, exchange and registration of the foreign corporation's memberships or maintaining trustees or depositaries with respect to those memberships.

(e) Selling through independent contractors.

(f) Soliciting or obtaining orders, whether by mail or through employees or agents or otherwise, if the orders require acceptance outside this state before they become contracts.

(g) Creating or acquiring indebtedness, mortgages and security interests in property.

(h) Securing or collecting debts or enforcing mortgages and security interests in property securing the debts.

(i) Owning, without more, property.

(j) Conducting an isolated transaction that is completed within 30 days and that is not one in the course of repeated transactions of a like nature.

(k) Transacting business in interstate commerce.

Cite this article: - Wisconsin Statutes Corporations (Ch. 180 to 188) § 181.1501. Authority to transact business required - last updated January 01, 2018 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard