Washington Revised Code Title 9A. Washington Criminal Code § 9A.76.010. Definitions

The following definitions are applicable in this chapter unless the context otherwise requires:

(1) “Contraband” means any article or thing which a person confined in a detention facility or a secure facility under chapter 71.09 RCW is prohibited from obtaining or possessing by statute, rule, regulation, or order of a court;

(2) “Custody” means restraint pursuant to a lawful arrest or an order of a court, or any period of service on a work crew:  PROVIDED, That custody pursuant to chapter 13.34 RCW and RCW *74.13.020 and 74.13.031 and chapter 13.32A RCW shall not be deemed custody for purposes of this chapter;

(3) “Detention facility” means any place used for the confinement of a person (a) arrested for, charged with or convicted of an offense, or (b) charged with being or adjudicated to be a juvenile offender as defined in RCW 13.40.020 as now existing or hereafter amended, or (c) held for extradition or as a material witness, or (d) otherwise confined pursuant to an order of a court, except an order under chapter 13.34 RCW or chapter 13.32A RCW, or (e) in any work release, furlough, or other such facility or program;

(4) “Uncontrollable circumstances” means an act of nature such as a flood, earthquake, or fire, or a medical condition that requires immediate hospitalization or treatment, or an act of a human being such as an automobile accident or threats of death, forcible sexual attack, or substantial bodily injury in the immediate future for which there is no time for a complaint to the authorities and no time or opportunity to resort to the courts.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.