Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(1) Counterfeiting is a misdemeanor, except as provided in subsections (2), (3) and (4) of this section.
(2) Counterfeiting is a gross misdemeanor if:
(a) The defendant has previously been convicted under RCW 9.16.030; or
(b) The violation involves more than one hundred but fewer than one thousand items bearing a counterfeit mark or the total retail value of all items bearing a counterfeit mark or the total retail value of all items bearing, or services identified by, a counterfeit mark is more than one thousand dollars but less than ten thousand dollars.
(3) Counterfeiting is a class C felony if:
(a) The defendant has been previously convicted of two or more offenses under RCW 9.16.030;
(b) The violation involves the manufacture or production of items bearing counterfeit marks; or
(c) The violation involves one thousand or more items bearing a counterfeit mark or the total retail value of all items bearing, or services identified by, a counterfeit mark is ten thousand dollars or more.
(4) Counterfeiting is a class C felony if:
(a) The violation involves the manufacture, production, or distribution of items bearing counterfeit marks; and
(b) The defendant knew or should have known that the counterfeit items, by their intended use, endangered the health or safety of others.
(5) For purposes of this section, the quantity or retail value of items or services shall include the aggregate quantity or retail value of all items bearing, or services identified by, every counterfeit mark the defendant manufactures, uses, displays, advertises, distributes, possesses, or possesses with intent to sell.
(6) A person guilty of counterfeiting shall be fined an amount up to three times the retail value of the items bearing, or services identified by, a counterfeit mark, unless extenuating circumstances are shown by the defendant.
(7) The penalties provided for in this section are cumulative and do not affect any other civil and criminal penalties provided by law.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Washington Revised Code Title 9. Crimes and Punishments § 9.16.035. Counterfeiting--Penalties - last updated April 06, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/wa/title-9-crimes-and-punishments/wa-rev-code-9-16-035.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.