Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
The purpose of this chapter is to establish a comprehensive statewide program for solid waste handling, and solid waste recovery and/or recycling which will prevent land, air, and water pollution and conserve the natural, economic, and energy resources of this state. To this end it is the purpose of this chapter:
(1) To assign primary responsibility for adequate solid waste handling to local government, reserving to the state, however, those functions necessary to assure effective programs throughout the state;
(2) To provide for adequate planning for solid waste handling by local government;
(3) To provide for the adoption and enforcement of basic minimum performance standards for solid waste handling, including that all sites where recyclable materials are generated and transported from shall provide a separate container for solid waste;
(4) To encourage the development and operation of waste recycling facilities needed to accomplish the management priority of waste recycling, to promote consistency in the requirements for such facilities throughout the state, and to ensure that recyclable materials diverted from the waste stream for recycling are routed to facilities in which recycling occurs;
(5) To provide technical and financial assistance to local governments in the planning, development, and conduct of solid waste handling programs;
(6) To encourage storage, proper disposal, and recycling of discarded vehicle tires and to stimulate private recycling programs throughout the state; and
(7) To encourage the development and operation of waste recycling facilities and activities needed to accomplish the management priority of waste recycling and to promote consistency in the permitting requirements for such facilities and activities throughout the state.
It is the intent of the legislature that local governments be encouraged to use the expertise of private industry and to contract with private industry to the fullest extent possible to carry out solid waste recovery and/or recycling programs.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Washington Revised Code Title 70A. Environmental Health and Safety § 70A.205.010. Purpose - last updated April 06, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/wa/title-70a-environmental-health-and-safety/wa-rev-code-70a-205-010.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?