Washington Revised Code Title 70A. Environmental Health and Safety § 70A.20.030. Powers and duties of department
Search Revised Code of Washington
Search by Keyword or Citation
The department is empowered as follows:
(1) The department, after consultation with state agencies expressing an interest therein, shall adopt, by rule, maximum noise levels permissible in identified environments in order to protect against adverse affects of noise on the health, safety and welfare of the people, the value of property, and the quality of environment: PROVIDED, That in so doing the department shall take also into account the economic and practical benefits to be derived from the use of various products in each such environment, whether the source of the noise or the use of such products in each environment is permanent or temporary in nature, and the state of technology relative to the control of noise generated by all such sources of the noise or the products.
(2) At any time after the adoption of maximum noise levels under subsection (1) of this section the department shall, in consultation with state agencies and local governments expressing an interest therein, adopt rules, consistent with the Federal Noise Control Act of 1972 (86 Stat. 1234; 42 U.S.C. Sec. 4901-4918 and 49 U.S.C. Sec. 1431), for noise abatement and control in the state designed to achieve compliance with the noise level adopted in subsection (1) of this section, including reasonable implementation schedules where appropriate, to insure that the maximum noise levels are not exceeded and that application of the best practicable noise control technology and practice is provided. These rules may include, but shall not be limited to:
(a) Performance standards setting allowable noise limits for the operation of products which produce noise;
(b) Use standards regulating, as to time and place, the operation of individual products which produce noise above specified levels considering frequency spectrum and duration: PROVIDED, The rules shall provide for temporarily exceeding those standards for stated purposes; and
(c) Public information requirements dealing with disclosure of levels and characteristics of noise produced by products.
(3) The department may, as desirable in the performance of its duties under this chapter, conduct surveys, studies and public education programs, and enter into contracts.
(4) The department is authorized to apply for and accept moneys from the federal government and other sources to assist in the implementation of this chapter.
(5) The legislature recognizes that the operation of motor vehicles on public highways as defined in RCW 46.09.310 contributes significantly to environmental noise levels and directs the department, in exercising the rule-making authority under the provisions of this section, to give first priority to the adoption of motor vehicle noise performance standards.
(6) Noise levels and rules adopted by the department pursuant to this chapter shall not be effective prior to March 31, 1975.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Washington Revised Code Title 70A. Environmental Health and Safety § 70A.20.030. Powers and duties of department - last updated April 06, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/wa/title-70a-environmental-health-and-safety/wa-rev-code-70a-20-030.html
Was this helpful?