Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Unless the context requires otherwise, the definitions in this section apply throughout this chapter.
(1) “Court” means the superior court of the state of Washington.
(2) “Law enforcement agency” means the police department, the director of public safety, or the office of the sheriff.
(3) “Practitioner of the healing arts” or “practitioner” means a person licensed by this state to practice podiatric medicine and surgery, optometry, pharmacy, physical therapy, chiropractic, nursing, dentistry, osteopathic medicine and surgery, or medicine and surgery. The term “practitioner” includes a nurse's aide and a duly accredited Christian Science practitioner.
(4) “Department” means the state department of social and health services.
(5) “Social worker” means anyone engaged in a professional capacity during the regular course of employment in encouraging or promoting the health, welfare, support, or education of patients, or providing social services to patients, whether in an individual capacity or as an employee or agent of any public or private organization or institution.
(6) “Psychologist” means any person licensed to practice psychology under chapter 18.83 RCW, whether acting in an individual capacity or as an employee or agent of any public or private organization or institution.
(7) “Pharmacist” means any registered pharmacist under chapter 18.64 RCW, whether acting in an individual capacity or as an employee or agent of any public or private organization or institution.
(8) “Abuse or neglect” or “patient abuse or neglect” means the nonaccidental physical injury or condition, sexual abuse, or negligent treatment of a state hospital patient under circumstances which indicate that the patient's health, welfare, or safety is harmed thereby.
(9) “Negligent treatment” means an act or omission which evinces a serious disregard of consequences of such magnitude as to constitute a clear and present danger to the patient's health, welfare, or safety.
(10) “State hospital” means any hospital operated and maintained by the state for the care of the mentally ill under chapter 72.23 RCW.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Washington Revised Code Title 70. Public Health and Safety § 70.124.020. Definitions - last updated April 06, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/wa/title-70-public-health-and-safety/wa-rev-code-70-124-020.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.