Washington Revised Code Title 48. Insurance § 48.201.040. Tax on premiums--Remittance
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Revised Code of Washington
Search by Keyword or Citation
(1) On or before the first day of March of each year, a registered eligible captive insurer must remit to the state treasurer through the commissioner a tax in the amount of two percent of the premiums, exclusive of returned premiums and sums collected to cover federal and state taxes and examination fees, for insurance directly procured by and provided to its parent or another affiliate for Washington risks during the preceding calendar year. The tax when collected must be credited to the general fund.
(2) For the purposes of this section, “Washington risks” means the share of risk covered by the premiums that is allocable to this state, based on where the underlying risks are located or where the losses or injuries giving rise to covered claims arise. A registered eligible captive insurer may use any reasonable method of determining such an allocation, including actuarial analysis or use of a proxy such as sales, property value, or payroll. Whether paid directly or by reimbursement, neither the timing nor the nature of a captive insurer's payment may be deemed to reflect, create, or constitute Washington risks.
(3) The registered eligible captive insurer must share its methodology and relevant analysis in determining its allocation with the commissioner.
(4) A registered eligible captive insurer is not liable for premium tax on moneys received as a reinsurer or on insurance placed through a surplus lines broker or other intermediary that collects and remits premium tax.
(5) If a registered eligible captive insurer fails to remit the tax provided by this section by the last day of the month in which the tax becomes due, the registered eligible captive insurer must pay the tax and the penalties and interest provided in RCW 48.14.060. The tax may be collected by distraint, or the tax and fine may be recovered by an action instituted by the commissioner in any court of competent jurisdiction. Any fine collected by the commissioner must be paid to the state treasurer and credited to the general fund.
(6) Taxes on premiums are due under this section from an eligible captive insurer for any period after January 1, 2011, if not previously remitted to the commissioner, and further provided that all such taxes must be limited to an eligible captive insurer's Washington risks. Taxes due under this subsection for periods before July 1, 2021, are not subject to the penalties or interest provided in RCW 48.14.060. For periods beginning July 1, 2021, a registered eligible captive insurer is subject to the sanctions in subsection (5) of this section.
(7) Taxes on premiums may not be imposed on or collected from an eligible captive insurer affiliated with a public institution of higher education.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Washington Revised Code Title 48. Insurance § 48.201.040. Tax on premiums--Remittance - last updated April 06, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/wa/title-48-insurance/wa-rev-code-48-201-040.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?