Washington Revised Code Title 48. Insurance § 48.05.385. Statement of actuarial opinion--Property and casualty insurance--Confidentiality
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Revised Code of Washington
Search by Keyword or Citation
(1) The statement of actuarial opinion shall be provided with the annual statement in accordance with the property and casualty annual statement instructions as adopted by the national association of insurance commissioners and shall be treated as a public document.
(2) Documents, materials or other information in the possession or control of the commissioner that are considered an actuarial report, work papers, or actuarial opinion summary provided in support of the opinion, and any other material provided by the insurance company to the commissioner in connection with the actuarial report, work papers, or actuarial opinion summary, is confidential by law and privileged, is not subject to chapter *42.17 or 42.56 RCW, is not subject to subpoena, and is not subject to discovery or admissible in evidence in any private civil action.
(3) Subsection (2) of this section does not limit the commissioner's authority to release the documents to the actuarial board for counseling and discipline so long as the material is required for the purpose of professional disciplinary proceedings and the board establishes procedures satisfactory to the commissioner for preserving the confidentiality of the documents. Subsection (2) of this section does not limit the commissioner's authority to use the documents, materials, or other information in furtherance of any regulatory or legal action brought as part of the commissioner's official duties.
(4) Neither the commissioner nor any person who received documents, materials, or other information while acting under the authority of the commissioner is permitted or required to testify in any private civil action concerning any confidential documents, materials, or information subject to subsection (2) of this section.
(5) In order to assist in the performance of the commissioner's duties, the commissioner:
(a) May share documents, materials, or other information, including the confidential and privileged documents, materials, or information subject to subsection (2) of this section with other state, federal, and international regulatory agencies, with the national association of insurance commissioners and its affiliates and subsidiaries, and with state, federal, and international law enforcement authorities, provided that the recipient agrees to maintain the confidentiality and privileged status of the document, material, or other information and has the legal authority to maintain confidentiality;
(b) May receive documents, materials, or information, including otherwise confidential and privileged documents, materials, or information, from the national association of insurance commissioners and its affiliates and subsidiaries, and from regulatory and law enforcement officials of other foreign or domestic jurisdictions, and shall maintain as confidential or privileged any document, material, or information received with notice or the understanding that it is confidential or privileged under the laws of the jurisdiction that is the source of the document, material, or information; and
(c) May enter into agreements governing the sharing and use of information consistent with this subsection.
(6) A waiver of any applicable privilege or claim of confidentiality in the documents, materials, or information may not occur as a result of disclosure to the commissioner under this section or as a result of sharing as authorized in subsection (5) of this section.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Washington Revised Code Title 48. Insurance § 48.05.385. Statement of actuarial opinion--Property and casualty insurance--Confidentiality - last updated April 06, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/wa/title-48-insurance/wa-rev-code-48-05-385.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?