(1) An adoption proceeding is initiated by filing with the court a petition for adoption. The petition shall be filed by the prospective adoptive parent.
(2) A petition for adoption shall contain the following information:
(a) The name and address of the petitioner;
(b) The name, if any, gender, and place and date of birth, if known, of the adoptee;
(c) A statement that the child is or is not an Indian child covered by the Indian Child Welfare Act; and
(d) The name and address of the department or any agency, legal guardian, or person having custody of the child.
(3) The written consent to adoption of any person, the department, or agency which has been executed shall be filed with the petition.
(4) The petition shall be signed under penalty of perjury by the petitioner. If the petitioner is married, the petitioner's spouse shall join in the petition.
(5) If a preplacement report prepared pursuant to RCW 26.33.190 has not been previously filed with the court, the preplacement report shall be filed with the petition for adoption.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.