Virginia Code Title 2.2. Administration of Government § 2.2-206.3. Additional duties of the Secretary; advancement of technology
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Code of Virginia
Search by Keyword or Citation
Unless the Governor expressly reserves such power to himself, the Secretary may, with regard to strategy development, planning, and budgeting for technology programs in the Commonwealth:
1. Monitor trends and advances in fundamental technologies of interest and importance to the economy of the Commonwealth and direct and approve a stakeholder-driven technology strategy development process that results in a comprehensive and coordinated view of research and development goals for industry, academia, and government in the Commonwealth. This strategy shall be updated biennially and submitted to the Governor, the Speaker of the House of Delegates, and the President pro tempore of the Senate;
2. Work closely with the appropriate federal research and development agencies and program managers to maximize the participation of Commonwealth industries and baccalaureate institutions of higher education in these programs consistent with agreed strategy goals;
3. Direct the development of plans and programs for strengthening the technology resources of the Commonwealth's high technology industry sectors and for assisting in the strengthening and development of the Commonwealth's Regional Technology Councils;
4. Direct the development of plans and programs for improving access to capital for technology-based entrepreneurs;
5. Assist the Joint Commission on Technology and Science created pursuant to § 30-85 in its efforts to stimulate, encourage, and promote the development of technology in the Commonwealth;
6. Strengthen interstate and international partnerships and relationships in the public and private sectors to bolster the Commonwealth's reputation as a global technology center;
7. Develop and implement strategies to accelerate and expand the commercialization of intellectual property created within the Commonwealth;
8. Ensure that the Commonwealth remains competitive in cultivating and expanding growth industries, including life sciences, advanced materials and nanotechnology, biotechnology, and aerospace; and
9. Monitor the trends in the availability and deployment of and access to broadband communications services, which include but are not limited to competitively priced, high-speed data services and Internet access services of general application, throughout the Commonwealth and advancements in communications technology for deployment potential. The Secretary shall report annually by December 1 to the Governor and General Assembly on those trends.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Virginia Code Title 2.2. Administration of Government § 2.2-206.3. Additional duties of the Secretary; advancement of technology - last updated January 01, 2020 | https://codes.findlaw.com/va/title-2-2-administration-of-government/va-code-sect-2-2-206-3.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?