(1) The Judicial Council shall establish a uniform recommended fine schedule for each offense under Subsection 76-3-301 (1).
(a) The fine for each offense shall proportionally reflect the seriousness of the offense and other factors as determined in writing by the Judicial Council.
(b) The schedule shall be reviewed annually by the Judicial Council.
(c) The fines shall be collected under Section 77-18-1 .
(2) The schedule shall incorporate:
(a) criteria for determining aggravating and mitigating circumstances; and
(b) guidelines for enhancement or reduction of the fine, based on aggravating or mitigating circumstances.
(3) Presentence investigation reports shall include documentation of aggravating and mitigating circumstances as determined under the criteria, and a recommended fine under the schedule.
(4) The Judicial Council shall also establish a separate uniform recommended fine schedule for the juvenile court and by rule provide for its implementation.
(5) This section does not prohibit the court from in its discretion imposing no fine, or a fine in any amount up to and including the maximum fine, for the offense.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.