Skip to main content

Utah Code Title 7. Financial Institutions Act § 7-3-21. Stock ownership by banks

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(1) A bank may purchase, own and hold, and sell or otherwise dispose of:

(a) shares of the Federal Reserve Bank of the Twelfth Federal Reserve District;

(b) the stock of a corporation organized under the laws of the United States for purposes similar to those of the federal reserve banks or the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation;

(c) shares of the Federal National Mortgage Association;

(d) the stock of a safe deposit company;

(e) the stock of a corporation owning the banking house in which any place of business of the bank is located;

(f) the stock of a bank service corporation performing services for the bank;

(g) the stock of a corporation acquired by the bank in satisfaction of or on account of debts previously contracted in the course of the bank's business;

(h) the stock of a foreign banking corporation;

(i) the stock of a corporation authorized under Title IX of the Housing and Urban Development Act of 1968;

(j) the stock of the Government National Mortgage Association authorized under 12 U.S.C. Sec. 1716 et seq.;

(k) the stock of a charitable foundation;

(l) the stock of a community development corporation;

(m) the stock of bankers' banks;  and

(n) the stock of an agricultural credit corporation.

(2) A bank may invest in a small business investment company to the same extent allowed federally chartered banks.

(3) Unless expressly authorized by this chapter, a bank may not purchase or own the stock of any other corporation except in a fiduciary capacity.

Cite this article: - Utah Code Title 7. Financial Institutions Act § 7-3-21. Stock ownership by banks - last updated May 05, 2022 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard