Utah Code Title 62A. Utah Human Services Code § 62A-15-1101. Suicide prevention--Reporting requirements
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Utah Code
Search by Keyword or Citation
(1) The division shall appoint a state suicide prevention coordinator to administer a state suicide prevention program composed of suicide prevention, intervention, and postvention programs, services, and efforts.
(2) The coordinator shall:
(a) establish a Statewide Suicide Prevention Coalition with membership from public and private organizations and Utah citizens; and
(b) appoint a chair and co-chair from among the membership of the coalition to lead the coalition.
(3) The state suicide prevention program may include the following components:
(a) delivery of resources, tools, and training to community-based coalitions;
(b) evidence-based suicide risk assessment tools and training;
(c) town hall meetings for building community-based suicide prevention strategies;
(d) suicide prevention gatekeeper training;
(e) training to identify warning signs and to manage an at-risk individual's crisis;
(f) evidence-based intervention training;
(g) intervention skills training; and
(h) postvention training.
(4) The coordinator shall coordinate with the following to gather statistics, among other duties:
(a) local mental health and substance abuse authorities;
(b) the State Board of Education, including the public education suicide prevention coordinator described in Section 53G-9-702;
(c) the Department of Health;
(d) health care providers, including emergency rooms;
(e) federal agencies, including the Federal Bureau of Investigation;
(f) other unbiased sources; and
(g) other public health suicide prevention efforts.
(5) The coordinator shall provide a written report to the Health and Human Services Interim Committee, at or before the October meeting every year, on:
(a) implementation of the state suicide prevention program, as described in Subsections (1) and (3);
(b) data measuring the effectiveness of each component of the state suicide prevention program;
(c) funds appropriated for each component of the state suicide prevention program; and
(d) five-year trends of suicides in Utah, including subgroups of youths and adults and other subgroups identified by the state suicide prevention coordinator.
(6) The coordinator shall, in consultation with the bureau, implement and manage the operation of the firearm safety program described in Subsection 62A-15-103(3).
(7) In accordance with Title 63G, Chapter 3, Utah Administrative Rulemaking Act, the division shall make rules:
(a) governing the implementation of the state suicide prevention program, consistent with this section; and
(b) in conjunction with the bureau, defining the criteria for employers to apply for grants under the Suicide Prevention Education Program described in Section 62A-15-103.1, which shall include:
(i) attendance at the suicide prevention education course described in Subsection 62A-15-103(3); and
(ii) distribution of the firearm safety brochures or packets created in Subsection 62A-15-103(3), but does not require the distribution of a cable-style gun lock with a firearm if the firearm already has a trigger lock or comparable safety mechanism.
(8) As funding by the Legislature allows, the coordinator shall award grants, not to exceed a total of $100,000 per fiscal year, to suicide prevention programs that focus on the needs of children who have been served by the Division of Juvenile Justice Services.
(9) The coordinator and the coalition shall submit to the advisory council, no later than October 1 each year, a written report detailing the previous fiscal year's activities to fund, implement, and evaluate suicide prevention activities described in this section.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Utah Code Title 62A. Utah Human Services Code § 62A-15-1101. Suicide prevention--Reporting requirements - last updated May 05, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ut/title-62a-utah-human-services-code/ut-code-sect-62a-15-1101/
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?