Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(1) Except as provided in this section, the following are exempt from a tax under this chapter:
(a) an organization exempt under Section 501, Internal Revenue Code ;
(b) an organization exempt under Section 528, Internal Revenue Code ;
(c) an insurance company that is subject to taxation on the insurance company's premiums under Chapter 9, Taxation of Admitted Insurers, regardless of whether the insurance company has a tax liability under that chapter;
(d) a local building authority as defined in Section 17D-2-102 ;
(e) a farmers' cooperative;
(f) a public agency, as defined in Section 11-13-103 , with respect to or as a result of an ownership interest in:
(i) a project, as defined in Section 11-13-103 ; or
(ii) facilities providing additional project capacity, as defined in Section 11-13-103 ;
(g) an insurance company that engages in a transaction that is subject to taxation under Section 31A-3-301 or 31A-3-302 , regardless of whether the insurance company has a tax liability under that section; or
(h) a captive insurance company that pays a fee under Section 31A-3-304 .
(2) A corporation is exempt from a tax under this chapter:
(a) if the corporation is an out-of-state business as defined in Section 53-2a-1202 ; and
(3) Notwithstanding any other provision in this chapter or Chapter 8, Gross Receipts Tax on Certain Corporations Not Required to Pay Corporate Franchise or Income Tax Act, a person not otherwise subject to the tax imposed by this chapter or Chapter 8, Gross Receipts Tax on Certain Corporations Not Required to Pay Corporate Franchise or Income Tax Act, is not subject to a tax imposed by Section 59-7-104 , 59-7-201 , 59-7-701 , or 59-8-104 , because of:
(a) that person's ownership of tangible personal property located at the premises of a printer's facility in this state with which the person has contracted for printing; or
(b) the activities of the person's employees or agents who are:
(i) located solely at the premises of a printer's facility; and
(ii) performing services:
(A) related to:
(I) quality control;
(II) distribution; or
(III) printing services; and
(B) performed by the printer's facility in this state with which the person has contracted for printing.
(4) Notwithstanding Subsection (1), an organization, company, authority, farmers' cooperative, or public agency exempt from this chapter under Subsection (1) is subject to Part 8, Unrelated Business Income, to the extent provided in Part 8, Unrelated Business Income.
(5) Notwithstanding Subsection (1)(b), to the extent the income of an organization described in Subsection (1)(b) is taxable for federal tax purposes under Section 528, Internal Revenue Code , the organization's income is also taxable under this chapter.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Utah Code Title 59. Revenue and Taxation § 59-7-102. Exemptions - last updated May 05, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ut/title-59-revenue-and-taxation/ut-code-sect-59-7-102.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.