Utah Code Title 41. Motor Vehicles § 41-6a-804. Turning or changing lanes--Safety--Signals--Stopping or sudden decrease in speed--Signal flashing--Where prohibited

(1)(a) A person may not turn a vehicle or move right or left on a roadway or change lanes until:

(i) the movement can be made with reasonable safety;  and

(ii) an appropriate signal has been given as provided under this section.

(b) A signal of intention to turn right or left or to change lanes shall be given continuously for at least the last two seconds preceding the beginning of the movement.

(2) A person may not stop or suddenly decrease the speed of a vehicle without first giving an appropriate signal to the operator of any vehicle immediately to the rear when there is opportunity to give a signal.

(3)(a) A stop or turn signal when required shall be given either by the hand and arm or by signal lamps.

(b) If hand and arm signals are used, a person operating a vehicle shall give the required hand and arm signals from the left side of the vehicle as follows:

(i) left turn:  hand and arm extended horizontally;

(ii) right turn:  hand and arm extended upward;  and

(iii) stop or decrease speed:  hand and arm extended downward.

(c)(i) A person operating a bicycle or device propelled by human power may give the required hand and arm signals for a right turn by extending the right hand and arm horizontally to the right.

(ii) This Subsection (3)(c) is an exception to the provision of Subsection (3)(b)(ii).

(4) A person required to make a signal under this section may not flash a signal:

(a) on one side only on a disabled vehicle;

(b) as a courtesy or “do pass” to operators of other vehicles approaching from the rear;  or

(c) on one side only of a parked vehicle.

(5) A violation of this section is an infraction.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard