Utah Code Title 41. Motor Vehicles § 41-6a-401.7. Accident involving injury, death, or property damage--Duties of operator, occupant, and owner--Exchange of information--Notification of law enforcement--Penalties
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
Search Utah Code
Search by Keyword or Citation
(a) give to the persons involved:
(i) the operator's name, address, and the registration number of the vehicle being operated; and
(ii) the name of the insurance provider covering the vehicle being operated including the phone number of the agent or provider;
(b) upon request and if available, exhibit the operator's license to:
(i) any investigating peace officer present;
(ii) the person struck;
(iii) the operator, occupant of, or person attending the vehicle or other property damaged in the accident; and
(iv) the owner of property damaged in the accident, if present; and
(c) render to any person injured in the accident reasonable assistance, including transporting or making arrangements for transporting, of the injured person to a physician or hospital for medical treatment if:
(i) it is apparent that treatment is necessary; or
(ii) transportation is requested by the injured person.
(2) The operator of a vehicle involved in an accident under Section 41-6a-401.3 or 41-6a-401.5 shall immediately and by the quickest means of communication available give notice or cause to give notice of the accident to the nearest office of a law enforcement agency.
(3) The occupant of a vehicle involved in an accident under Section 41-6a-401.3 or 41-6a-401.5 who is not the operator of the vehicle shall give or cause to give the immediate notice required under Subsection (2) if:
(a) the operator of a vehicle involved in an accident is physically incapable of giving the notice; and
(b) the occupant is capable of giving an immediate notice.
(4) Except as provided under Subsection (5), if a vehicle or other property damaged in the accident is unattended, the operator of the vehicle involved in the accident shall:
(a) locate and notify the operator or owner of the vehicle or the owner of other property damaged in the accident of the operator's name, address, and the registration number of the vehicle causing the damage; or
(b) attach securely in a conspicuous place on the vehicle or other property a written notice giving the operator's name, address, and the registration number of the vehicle causing the damage.
(5) The operator of a vehicle that provides the information required under this section to an investigating peace officer at the scene of the accident is exempt from providing the information to other persons required under this section.
(6) A violation of Subsection (4) is a class C misdemeanor.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Utah Code Title 41. Motor Vehicles § 41-6a-401.7. Accident involving injury, death, or property damage--Duties of operator, occupant, and owner--Exchange of information--Notification of law enforcement--Penalties - last updated May 05, 2022 | https://codes.findlaw.com/ut/title-41-motor-vehicles/ut-code-sect-41-6a-401-7.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?