Utah Code Title 41. Motor Vehicles § 41-12a-403. Insurance certificate as proof of owner's or operator's security--Nonresident

(1) The nonresident owner of a motor vehicle not registered in Utah may give proof of owner's or operator's security by filing with the department the written certificate of an insurer licensed in the state in which the motor vehicle described in the certificate is registered, or if the nonresident does not own a motor vehicle, then in the state in which the insured resides, provided the certificate otherwise conforms to the provisions of this chapter.  The department shall accept the certificate if the insurer:

(a) executes a power of attorney authorizing the department to accept service on its behalf of notice or process in any action arising out of a motor vehicle accident in Utah;  and

(b) agrees in writing that the policies certified are considered to conform with the provisions required under Sections 31A-22-303 and 31A-22-304 .

(2) If an insurer which is not licensed in Utah but which has qualified to furnish proof of owner's or operator's security under Subsection (1), defaults in any such undertaking or agreement, the department may not thereafter accept as proof of security any certificate of the insurer, so long as the default continues.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.