(a) Landsat 7 data policy.--The Landsat Program Management, in consultation with other appropriate United States
Government agencies, shall develop a data policy for Landsat 7 which should--
(1) ensure that unenhanced data are available to all users at the cost of fulfilling
(2) ensure timely and dependable delivery of unenhanced data to the full spectrum of
civilian, national security, commercial, and foreign users and the National Satellite
Land Remote Sensing Data Archive;
(3) ensure that the United States retains ownership of all unenhanced data generated
by Landsat 7;
(4) support the development of the commercial market for remote sensing data;
(5) ensure that the provision of commercial value-added services based on remote sensing
data remains exclusively the function of the private sector; and
(6) to the extent possible, ensure that the data distribution system for Landsat 7 is
compatible with the Earth Observing System Data and Information System.
(b) Additional data policy considerations.--In addition, the data policy for Landsat 7 may provide for--
(1) United States private sector entities to operate ground receiving stations in the
United States for Landsat 7 data;
(2) other means for direct access by private sector entities to unenhanced data from
Landsat 7; and
(3) the United States Government to charge a per image fee, license fee, or other such
fee to entities operating ground receiving stations or distributing Landsat 7 data.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?
Response sent, thank you
Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes
A free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.