Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) Declaration of policy. --It is in the interest of the United States, including the economic interest of the United States, to foster the development and revitalization of public transportation systems with the cooperation of both public transportation companies and private companies engaged in public transportation.
(b) General purposes. --The purposes of this chapter are to--
(1) provide funding to support public transportation;
(2) improve the development and delivery of capital projects;
(3) establish standards for the state of good repair of public transportation infrastructure and vehicles;
(4) promote continuing, cooperative, and comprehensive planning that improves the performance of the transportation network;
(5) establish a technical assistance program to assist recipients under this chapter to more effectively and efficiently provide public transportation service;
(6) continue Federal support for public transportation providers to deliver high quality service to all users, including individuals with disabilities, seniors, and individuals who depend on public transportation;
(7) support research, development, demonstration, and deployment projects dedicated to assisting in the delivery of efficient and effective public transportation service; and
(8) promote the development of the public transportation workforce.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - 49 U.S.C. § 5301 - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 49. Transportation § 5301. Policies and purposes - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/us/title-49-transportation/49-usc-sect-5301.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.