49 U.S.C. § 28301 - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 49. Transportation § 28301. General
Search U.S. Code
(a) Eight hour day. --In contracts for labor and service, 8 hours shall be a day's work and the standard day's work for determining the compensation for services of an employee employed by a common carrier by railroad subject to subtitle IV of this title and actually engaged in any capacity in operating trains used for transporting passengers or property on railroads from--
(1) a State of the United States or the District of Columbia to any other State or the District of Columbia;
(2) one place in a territory or possession of the United States to another place in the same territory or possession;
(3) a place in the United States to an adjacent foreign country; or
(4) a place in the United States through a foreign country to any other place in the United States.
(b) Application. --Subsection (a) of this section--
(1) does not apply to--
(A) an independently owned and operated railroad not exceeding one hundred miles in length;
(B) an electric street railroad; and
(C) an electric interurban railroad; but
(2) does apply to an independently owned and operated railroad less than one hundred miles in length--
(A) whose principal business is leasing or providing terminal or transfer facilities to other railroads; or
(B) engaged in transfers of freight between railroads or between railroads and industrial plants.
Read this complete 49 U.S.C. § 28301 - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 49. Transportation § 28301. General on Westlaw
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.