Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) Authority of Secretary concerned
Subject to sections 8812 and 8817 of this title, the Secretary concerned may commit to guarantee, and guarantee, against loss of principal and interest, loans which are made to provide funds for the construction of biomass energy projects.
(b) Estimated project construction costs as determinative of initial and revised amount of guarantee
(1) Any guarantee of a loan under this section may not exceed 90 per centum of the cost of the construction of the biomass energy project involved, as estimated by the Secretary on the date of the guarantee or commitment to guarantee.
(2) In the event the construction costs of the project are thereafter estimated by the Secretary concerned to exceed the construction costs initially estimated by the Secretary, the Secretary may in addition, upon application therefor, guarantee, against loss of principal and interest, a loan for up to 60 per centum of the difference between the construction costs then estimated and the construction costs initially estimated.
(c) Debt obligation; ineligibility for purchase, etc., by Federal Financing Bank or any Federal agency
Notwithstanding the provisions of the Federal Financing Bank Act of 1973 (12 U.S.C. 2281 et seq.) or any other provision of law (except as may be specifically provided by reference to this subsection in any Act enacted after June 30, 1980), no debt obligation which is guaranteed or committed to be guaranteed by the Secretary of Agriculture or the Secretary of Energy under this section shall be eligible for purchase by, or commitment to purchase by, or sale or issuance to, the Federal Financing Bank or any Federal agency.
(d) Terms and conditions
The terms and conditions of loan guarantees under this section shall provide that, if the Secretary concerned makes a payment of principal or interest upon the default by a borrower, the Secretary shall be subrogated to the rights of the recipient of such payment (and such subrogation shall be expressly set forth in the loan guarantee or related agreements).
(e) Termination, cancellation, or revocation, and conclusive nature of guarantee
Any loan guarantee under this section shall not be terminated, canceled, or otherwise revoked, except in accordance with the terms thereof and shall be conclusive evidence that such guarantee complies fully with the provisions of this chapter and of the approval and legality of the principal amount, interest rate, and all other terms of the securities, obligations, or loans and of the guarantee.
(f) Payment to lender
If the Secretary concerned determines that--
(1) the borrower is unable to meet payments and is not in default,
(2) it is in the public interest to permit the borrower to continue with such project, and
(3) the probable net benefit to the United States in paying the principal and interest due under the loan will be greater than that which would result in the event of a default,
then the Secretary may pay to the lender under a loan guarantee agreement an amount not greater than the principal and interest which the borrower is obligated to pay to such lender, if the borrower agrees to reimburse the Secretary for such payment on terms and conditions, including interest, which the Secretary determines are sufficient to protect the financial interests of the United States.
(1) A loan may not be guaranteed under this section unless the applicant for such loan has established to the satisfaction of the Secretary concerned that the lender is not willing without such a guarantee to extend credit to the applicant at reasonable rates and terms, taking into consideration prevailing rates and terms for loans for similar purposes and periods of time, to finance the construction of the biomass energy project for which such loan is sought.
(2) The Secretary concerned shall ensure that the lender bears a reasonable degree of risk in the financing of such project.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - 42 U.S.C. § 8814 - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 42. The Public Health and Welfare § 8814. Loan guarantees - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/us/title-42-the-public-health-and-welfare/42-usc-sect-8814.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?