42 U.S.C. § 289g - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 42. The Public Health and Welfare § 289g. Fetal research
Search U.S. Code
(a) Conduct or support by Secretary; restrictions
The Secretary may not conduct or support any research or experimentation, in the United States or in any other country, on a nonviable living human fetus ex utero or a living human fetus ex utero for whom viability has not been ascertained unless the research or experimentation--
(1) may enhance the well-being or meet the health needs of the fetus or enhance the probability of its survival to viability; or
(2) will pose no added risk of suffering, injury, or death to the fetus and the purpose of the research or experimentation is the development of important biomedical knowledge which cannot be obtained by other means.
(b) Risk standard for fetuses intended to be aborted and fetuses intended to be carried to term to be same
In administering the regulations for the protection of human research subjects which--
(1) apply to research conducted or supported by the Secretary;
(2) involve living human fetuses in utero; and
(3) are published in section 46.208 of part 46 of title 45 of the Code of Federal Regulations;
or any successor to such regulations, the Secretary shall require that the risk standard (published in section 46.102(g) of such part 46 or any successor to such regulations) be the same for fetuses which are intended to be aborted and fetuses which are intended to be carried to term.
Read this complete 42 U.S.C. § 289g - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 42. The Public Health and Welfare § 289g. Fetal research on Westlaw
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.