33 U.S.C. § 2762 - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 33. Navigation and Navigable Waters § 2762. Submerged oil program

(a) Program

(1) Establishment

The Under Secretary of Commerce for Oceans and Atmosphere, in conjunction with the Commandant of the Coast Guard, shall establish a program to detect, monitor, and evaluate the environmental effects of submerged oil in the Delaware River and Bay region.  The program shall include the following elements:

(A)  The development of methods to remove, disperse, or otherwise diminish the persistence of submerged oil.

(B)  The development of improved models and capacities for predicting the environmental fate, transport, and effects of submerged oil.

(C)  The development of techniques to detect and monitor submerged oil.

(2) Report

Not later than 3 years after July 11, 2006, the Secretary of Commerce shall submit to the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation of the Senate and the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure of the House of Representatives a report on the activities carried out under this subsection and activities proposed to be carried out under this subsection.

(b) Demonstration project

(1) Removal of submerged oil

The Commandant of the Coast Guard, in conjunction with the Under Secretary of Commerce for Oceans and Atmosphere, shall conduct a demonstration project for the purpose of developing and demonstrating technologies and management practices to remove submerged oil from the Delaware River and other navigable waters.

(2) Funding

There is authorized to be appropriated to the Commandant of the Coast Guard $2,000,000 for each of fiscal years 2006 through 2010 to carry out this subsection.

FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.