(a) Executive Director; technical and professional employees
(1) The Chairperson of the National Council may appoint and remove, without regard to the provisions of Title 5 governing appointments, the provisions of chapter 75 [ 5 U.S.C.A. § 7501 et seq. ] of such title (relating to adverse actions), the provisions of chapter 77 [ 5 U.S.C.A. § 7701 et seq. ] of such title (relating to appeals), or the provisions of chapter 51 [ 5 U.S.C.A. § 5101 et seq. ] and subchapter III [ 5 U.S.C.A. § 5331 et seq. ] of chapter 53 of such title (relating to classification and General Schedule pay rates), an Executive Director to assist the National Council to carry out its duties. The Executive Director shall be appointed from among individuals who are experienced in the planning or operation of programs for individuals with disabilities.
(2) The Executive Director is authorized to hire technical and professional employees to assist the National Council to carry out its duties.
(b) Temporary or intermittent services; voluntary and uncompensated services; gifts, etc.; contracts and agreements; official representation and reception
(1) The National Council may procure temporary and intermittent services to the same extent as is authorized by section 3109(b) of Title 5 (but at rates for individuals not to exceed the daily equivalent of the rate of pay for level 4 of the Senior Executive Service Schedule under section 5382 of Title 5 ).
(2) The National Council may--
(A) accept voluntary and uncompensated services, notwithstanding the provisions of section 1342 of Title 31 ;
(B) in the name of the Council, solicit, accept, employ, and dispose of, in furtherance of this chapter [ 29 U.S.C.A § 701 et seq. ], any money or property, real or personal, or mixed, tangible or nontangible, received by gift, devise, bequest, or otherwise; and
(C) enter into contracts and cooperative agreements with Federal and State agencies, private firms, institutions, and individuals for the conduct of research and surveys, preparation of reports and other activities necessary to the discharge of the Council's duties and responsibilities.
(3) Not more than 10 per centum of the total amounts available to the National Council in each fiscal year may be used for official representation and reception.
(c) Administrative support services
The Administrator of General Services shall provide to the National Council on a reimbursable basis such administrative support services as the Council may request.
(d) Investment of amounts not required for current withdrawals
(1) It shall be the duty of the Secretary of the Treasury to invest such portion of the amounts made available under subsection (a)(2)(B) 1 of this section as is not, in the Secretary's judgment, required to meet current withdrawals. Such investments may be made only in interest-bearing obligations of the United States or in obligations guaranteed as to both principal and interest by the United States.
(2) The amounts described in paragraph (1), and the interest on, and the proceeds from the sale or redemption of, the obligations described in paragraph (1) shall be available to the National Council to carry out this subchapter.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.