28 U.S.C. § 3003 - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 28. Judiciary and Judicial Procedure § 3003. Rules of construction
Search U.S. Code
(a) Terms. --For purposes of this chapter--
(1) the terms “includes” and “including” are not limiting;
(2) the term “or” is not exclusive; and
(3) the singular includes the plural.
(b) Effect on rights of the United States. --This chapter shall not be construed to curtail or limit the right of the United States under any other Federal law or any State law--
(1) to collect taxes or to collect any other amount collectible in the same manner as a tax;
(2) to collect any fine, penalty, assessment, restitution, or forfeiture arising in a criminal case;
(3) to appoint or seek the appointment of a receiver; or
(4) to enforce a security agreement.
(c) Effect on other laws. --This chapter shall not be construed to supersede or modify the operation of--
(1) title 11;
(2) admiralty law;
(3) section 3713 of title 31 ;
(4) section 303 of the Consumer Credit Protection Act ( 15 U.S.C. 1673 );
(5) a statute of limitation applicable to a criminal proceeding;
(6) the common law or statutory rights to set-off or recoupment;
(7) any Federal law authorizing, or any inherent authority of a court to provide, injunctive relief;
(8) the authority of a court--
(A) to impose a sanction under the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure;
(B) to appoint a receiver to effectuate its order; or
(C) to exercise the power of contempt under any Federal law;
(9) any law authorizing the United States to obtain partition, or to recover possession, of property in which the United States holds title; or
(10) any provision of any other chapter of this title, except to the extent such provision is inconsistent with this chapter.
(d) Preemption. --This chapter shall preempt State law to the extent such law is inconsistent with a provision of this chapter.
(e) Effect on rights of the United States under foreign and international law. --This chapter shall not be construed to curtail or limit the rights of the United States under foreign law, under a treaty or an international agreement, or otherwise under international law.
(f) Applicability of Federal Rules of Civil Procedure. --Except as provided otherwise in this chapter, the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure shall apply with respect to actions and proceedings under this chapter.
Read this complete 28 U.S.C. § 3003 - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 28. Judiciary and Judicial Procedure § 3003. Rules of construction on Westlaw