(a) Exclusion. --Except as provided in subsection (b), gross income does not include interest on any State or local bond.
(b) Exceptions. --Subsection (a) shall not apply to--
(1) Private activity bond which is not a qualified bond. --Any private activity bond which is not a qualified bond (within the meaning of section 141 ).
(2) Arbitrage bond. --Any arbitrage bond (within the meaning of section 148 ).
(3) Bond not in registered form, etc. --Any bond unless such bond meets the applicable requirements of section 149 .
(c) Definitions. --For purposes of this section and part IV--
(1) State or local bond. --The term “State or local bond” means an obligation of a State or political subdivision thereof.
(2) State. --The term “State” includes the District of Columbia and any possession of the United States.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.