Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
For purposes of this chapter--
(1) the term “asbestos” means--
(A) chrysotile, amosite, or crocidolite; or
(B) in fibrous form, tremolite, anthophyllite, or actinolite;
(2) the term “Attorney General” means the Attorney General of the United States;
(3) the term “imminent hazard to the health and safety” means, for purposes of section 3605 of this title, that an asbestos material is, according to standards established by the Secretary, friable or easily damaged, or within easy reach of students or otherwise susceptible to damage (including damage from water or air circulation) which could result in the dispersal of asbestos fibers into the school environment;
(4) the term “local educational agency” means--
(A) any local educational agency as defined in section 198(a)(10) of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965;
(B) the governing authority of any nonprofit elementary or secondary school;
(5) the term “nonprofit elementary or secondary school” means--
(A) any elementary or secondary school (as defined in section 198(a)(7) of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965) owned and operated by one or more nonprofit corporations or associations no part of the net earnings of which inures, or may lawfully inure, to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual, and
(B) any school of any agency of the United States;
(6) the term “school buildings” means--
(A) structures suitable for use as classrooms, laboratories, libraries, school eating facilities, or facilities used for the preparation of food;
(B) any gymnasium or other facility which is specially designed for athletic or recreational activities for an academic course in physical education;
(C) other facilities used for the instruction of students, for research, or for the administration of educational or research programs; and
(D) maintenance, storage, or utility facilities essential to the operation of the facilities described in subparagraphs (A) through (C) of this paragraph;
(7) the term “Secretary” means the Secretary of Education, or his designee;
(8) the term “State” means each of the several States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the Virgin Islands, the Northern Mariana Islands, the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands, the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and the Office of Overseas Schools of the Department of Defense; and
(9) the term “State educational agency” has the same meaning given such term by section 198(a)(17) of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - 20 U.S.C. § 3610 - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 20. Education § 3610. Definitions - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/us/title-20-education/20-usc-sect-3610.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.
Was this helpful?