Skip to main content

20 U.S.C. § 1135a - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 20. Education § 1135a. Institutional eligibility

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a)Eligibility criteria

Any academic department, program or unit of an institution of higher education that offers a program of postbaccalaureate study leading to a graduate degree, including a master's or doctoral degree, in an area of national need (as designated under subsection (b) of this section) may apply for a grant under this subpart.  No department, program or unit shall be eligible for a grant unless the program of postbaccalaureate study has been in existence for at least 4 years at the time of application for assistance under this subpart.

(b)Designation of areas of national need

After consultation with appropriate Federal and nonprofit agencies and organizations, including the National Science Foundation, the Department of Defense, the Department of Homeland Security, the National Academy of Sciences, and the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the Secretary shall designate areas of national need.  In making such designations, the Secretary shall take into consideration--

(1) the extent to which the interest in the area is compelling;

(2) the extent to which other Federal programs support postbaccalaureate study in the area concerned;

(3) an assessment of how the program may achieve the most significant impact with available resources;  and

(4) an assessment of current (as of the time of the designation) and future professional workforce needs of the United States.

Cite this article: - 20 U.S.C. § 1135a - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 20. Education § 1135a. Institutional eligibility - last updated January 01, 2018 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard