Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) Participation agreements
An agreement with any institution of higher education for participation in the direct student loan program under this part shall--
(1) provide for the establishment and maintenance of a direct student loan program at the institution under which the institution will--
(A) identify eligible students who seek student financial assistance at such institution in accordance with section 1091 of this title;
(B) estimate the need of each such student as required by part E of this subchapter for an academic year, except that, any loan obtained by a student under this part with the same terms as loans made under section 1078-8 of this title (except as otherwise provided in this part), or a loan obtained by a parent under this part with the same terms as loans made under section 1078-2 of this title (except as otherwise provided in this part), or obtained under any State-sponsored or private loan program, may be used to offset the expected family contribution of the student for that year;
(C) provide a statement that certifies the eligibility of any student to receive a loan under this part that is not in excess of the annual or aggregate limit applicable to such loan, except that the institution may, in exceptional circumstances identified by the Secretary, refuse to certify a statement that permits a student to receive a loan under this part, or certify a loan amount that is less than the student's determination of need (as determined under part E of this subchapter), if the reason for such action is documented and provided in written form to such student;
(D) set forth a schedule for disbursement of the proceeds of the loan in installments, consistent with the requirements of section 1078-7 of this title; and
(E) provide timely and accurate information--
(i) concerning the status of student borrowers (and students on whose behalf parents borrow under this part) while such students are in attendance at the institution and concerning any new information of which the institution becomes aware for such students (or their parents) after such borrowers leave the institution, to the Secretary for the servicing and collecting of loans made under this part; and
(ii) if the institution does not have an agreement with the Secretary under subsection (b) of this section, concerning student eligibility and need, as determined under subparagraphs (A) and (B), to the Secretary as needed for the alternative origination of loans to eligible students and parents in accordance with this part;
(2) provide assurances that the institution will comply with requirements established by the Secretary relating to student loan information with respect to loans made under this part;
(3) provide that the institution accepts responsibility and financial liability stemming from its failure to perform its functions pursuant to the agreement;
(4) provide for the implementation of a quality assurance system, as established by the Secretary and developed in consultation with institutions of higher education, to ensure that the institution is complying with program requirements and meeting program objectives;
(5) provide that the institution will not charge any fees of any kind, however described, to student or parent borrowers for origination activities or the provision of any information necessary for a student or parent to receive a loan under this part, or any benefits associated with such loan; and
(6) include such other provisions as the Secretary determines are necessary to protect the interests of the United States and to promote the purposes of this part.
(7) Redesignated (6)
An agreement with any institution of higher education, or consortia thereof, for the origination of loans under this part shall--
(1) supplement the agreement entered into in accordance with subsection (a) of this section;
(2) include provisions established by the Secretary that are similar to the participation agreement provisions described in paragraphs (1)(E)(ii), (2), (3), (4), (5), and (6) of subsection (a) of this section, as modified to relate to the origination of loans by the institution or consortium;
(3) provide that the institution or consortium will originate loans to eligible students and parents in accordance with this part; and
(4) provide that the note or evidence of obligation on the loan shall be the property of the Secretary.
(c) Withdrawal and termination procedures
The Secretary shall establish procedures by which institutions or consortia may withdraw or be terminated from the program under this part.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - 20 U.S.C. § 1087d - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 20. Education § 1087d. Agreements with institutions - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/us/title-20-education/20-usc-sect-1087d.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.