Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) Authority of depository institution; applicability
(1) Notwithstanding any other provision of law but subject to paragraph (2), a depository institution is authorized to permit the owner of a deposit or account on which interest or dividends are paid to make withdrawals by negotiable or transferable instruments for the purpose of making transfers to third parties.
(2) Paragraph (1) shall apply only with respect to deposits or accounts which consist solely of funds in which the entire beneficial interest is held by one or more individuals or by an organization which is operated primarily for religious, philanthropic, charitable, educational, political, or other similar purposes and which is not operated for profit, and with respect to deposits of public funds by an officer, employee, or agent of the United States, any State, county, municipality, or political subdivision thereof, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, American Samoa, Guam, any territory or possession of the United States, or any political subdivision thereof.
(b) “Depository institution” defined
For purposes of this section, the term “depository institution” means--
(1) any insured bank as defined in section 1813 of this title;
(2) any State bank as defined in section 1813 of this title;
(3) any mutual savings bank as defined in section 1813 of this title;
(4) any savings bank as defined in section 1813 of this title;
(5) any insured institution as defined in section 1724 of this title; and
(6) any building and loan association or savings and loan association organized and operated according to the laws of the State in which it is chartered or organized; and, for purposes of this paragraph, the term “State” means any State of the United States, the District of Columbia, any territory of the United States, Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, or the Virgin Islands.
Any depository institution which violates this section shall be fined $1,000 for each violation.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - 12 U.S.C. § 1832 - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 12. Banks and Banking § 1832. Withdrawals by negotiable or transferable instruments for transfers to third parties - last updated January 01, 2018 | https://codes.findlaw.com/us/title-12-banks-and-banking/12-usc-sect-1832.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.