Skip to main content

11 U.S.C. § 1502 - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 11. Bankruptcy § 1502. Definitions

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

For the purposes of this chapter, the term--

(1)  “debtor” means an entity that is the subject of a foreign proceeding;

(2)  “establishment” means any place of operations where the debtor carries out a nontransitory economic activity;

(3)  “foreign court” means a judicial or other authority competent to control or supervise a foreign proceeding;

(4)  “foreign main proceeding” means a foreign proceeding pending in the country where the debtor has the center of its main interests;

(5)  “foreign nonmain proceeding” means a foreign proceeding, other than a foreign main proceeding, pending in a country where the debtor has an establishment;

(6)  “trustee” includes a trustee, a debtor in possession in a case under any chapter of this title, or a debtor under chapter 9 of this title;

(7)  “recognition” means the entry of an order granting recognition of a foreign main proceeding or foreign nonmain proceeding under this chapter;  and

(8)  “within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States”, when used with reference to property of a debtor, refers to tangible property located within the territory of the United States and intangible property deemed under applicable nonbankruptcy law to be located within that territory, including any property subject to attachment or garnishment that may properly be seized or garnished by an action in a Federal or State court in the United States.

Cite this article: - 11 U.S.C. § 1502 - U.S. Code - Unannotated Title 11. Bankruptcy § 1502. Definitions - last updated January 01, 2018 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard