(a) Section 601.051 does not apply to:
(1) the operation of a motor vehicle that:
(A) is a former military vehicle or is at least 25 years old;
(B) is used only for exhibitions, club activities, parades, and other functions of public interest and not for regular transportation; and
(C) for which the owner files with the department an affidavit, signed by the owner, stating that the vehicle is a collector's item and used only as described by Paragraph (B);
(2) a neighborhood electric vehicle that is operated only as authorized by Section 551.304 ;
(2-b) an off-highway vehicle that is operated only as authorized by Subchapter C, Chapter 551A, or Section 551A.055 of this code or Chapter 29, Parks and Wildlife Code; or
(3) a volunteer fire department for the operation of a motor vehicle the title of which is held in the name of a volunteer fire department.
(b) Subsection (a)(3) does not exempt from the requirement of Section 601.051 a person who is operating a vehicle described by that subsection.
(c) In this section:
(1) “Former military vehicle” has the meaning assigned by Section 504.502(i) .
(2) “Volunteer fire department” means a company, department, or association that is:
(A) organized in an unincorporated area to answer fire alarms and extinguish fires or to answer fire alarms, extinguish fires, and provide emergency medical services; and
(B) composed of members who:
(i) do not receive compensation; or
(ii) receive only nominal compensation.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.