Texas Transportation Code - TRANSP § 601.002. Definitions
Search Texas Statutes
In this chapter:
(1) “Department” means the Department of Public Safety.
(2) “Driver's license” has the meaning assigned by Section 521.001 .
(3) “Financial responsibility” means the ability to respond in damages for liability for an accident that:
(A) occurs after the effective date of the document evidencing the establishment of the financial responsibility; and
(B) arises out of the ownership, maintenance, or use of a motor vehicle.
(4) “Highway” means the entire width between property lines of a road, street, or way in this state that is not privately owned or controlled and:
(A) some part of which is open to the public for vehicular traffic; and
(B) over which the state has legislative jurisdiction under its police power.
(5) “Motor vehicle” means a self-propelled vehicle designed for use on a highway, a trailer or semitrailer designed for use with a self-propelled vehicle, or a vehicle propelled by electric power from overhead wires and not operated on rails. The term does not include:
(A) a traction engine;
(B) a road roller or grader;
(C) a tractor crane;
(D) a power shovel;
(E) a well driller;
(F) an implement of husbandry; or
(G) an electric personal assistive mobility device, as defined by Section 551.201 .
(6) “Nonresident” means a person who is not a resident of this state.
(7) “Nonresident's operating privilege” means the privilege conferred on a nonresident by the laws of this state relating to the operation of a motor vehicle in this state by the nonresident or the use in this state of a motor vehicle owned by the nonresident.
(8) “Operator” means the person in actual physical control of a motor vehicle.
(9) “Owner” means:
(A) the person who holds legal title to a motor vehicle;
(B) the purchaser or lessee of a motor vehicle subject to an agreement for the conditional sale or lease of the vehicle, if the person has:
(i) the right to purchase the vehicle on performing conditions stated in the agreement; and
(ii) an immediate right to possess the vehicle; or
(C) a mortgagor of a motor vehicle who is entitled to possession of the vehicle.
(10) “Person” means an individual, firm, partnership, association, or corporation.
(11) “State” means:
(A) a state, territory, or possession of the United States; or
(B) the District of Columbia.
(12) “Vehicle registration” means:
(A) a registration certificate, registration receipt, or number plate issued under Chapter 502; or
(B) a dealer's license plate or temporary tag issued under Chapter 503.
Read this complete Texas Transportation Code - TRANSP § 601.002. Definitions on Westlaw
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.