Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) Required brakes shall operate on each wheel of a vehicle except:
(1) special mobile equipment;
(2) a vehicle that is towed as a commodity when at least one set of the towed vehicle's wheels is on the roadway, if the combination of vehicles complies with the performance requirements of this chapter; and
(3) a trailer, semitrailer, or pole trailer with a gross weight heavier than 4,500 pounds but not heavier than 15,000 pounds drawn at a speed of more than 30 miles per hour, if the brakes operate on both wheels of the rear axle.
(b) A truck or truck-tractor that has at least three axles is not required to have brakes on the front wheels, but must have brakes that:
(1) operate on the wheels of one steerable axle if the vehicle is equipped with at least two steerable axles; and
(2) comply with the performance requirements of this chapter.
(c) A trailer or semitrailer that has a gross weight of 15,000 pounds or less may use surge or inertia brake systems to satisfy the requirements of Subsection (a).
(d) Brakes shall be maintained in good working order and adjusted to operate on wheels on each side of the vehicle as equally as practicable.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Texas Transportation Code - TRANSP § 547.402. Operation and Maintenance of Brakes - last updated April 14, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/transportation-code/transp-sect-547-402.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.