Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.
(a) The department shall participate in an inmate identification verification pilot program for the purpose of issuing driver's licenses and personal identification certificates to inmates of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.
(b) Under the pilot program, the department may:
(1) enter into a contract with the Texas Department of Criminal Justice and the Department of State Health Services to establish an identification verification process for inmates of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice; and
(2) issue a driver's license or a personal identification certificate to an inmate whose identity has been confirmed through the verification process and who otherwise meets the requirements for the issuance of the driver's license or personal identification certificate.
(c) At the conclusion of the pilot program the governing bodies of the participating agencies may agree to continue the pilot program on a permanent basis.
(d) Not later than December 1, 2010, the department and the Texas Department of Criminal Justice shall jointly issue a report to the standing committees of the legislature with jurisdiction over issues related to criminal justice and homeland security addressing:
(1) the status of the pilot program;
(2) the effectiveness of the pilot program; and
(3) an analysis of the feasibility of implementing a statewide program based on the pilot program.
Cite this article: FindLaw.com - Texas Transportation Code - TRANSP § 521.1421. Inmate Identification Verification Pilot Program - last updated April 14, 2021 | https://codes.findlaw.com/tx/transportation-code/transp-sect-521-1421.html
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.