Skip to main content

Texas Transportation Code - TRANSP § 203.051. Acquisition of Property Authorized

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a) The commission may acquire by purchase, on terms and conditions the commission considers proper or by the exercise of eminent domain, in the name of the state:

(1) an interest in real property;

(2) any property rights, including:

(A) a right of ingress or egress;  and

(B) a reservation right in real property that restricts or prohibits for not more than seven years the:

(i) addition of a new improvement on the real property;

(ii) addition to or modification of an existing improvement on the real property;  or

(iii) subdivision of the real property;  and

(3) timber, earth, stone, gravel, or other material.

(b) Chapter 21, Property Code, applies to an acquisition by eminent domain.

(c) The department may condemn the fee or a lesser interest in the property.

(d) The department shall, in a statement or petition in condemnation, exclude from the interest to be condemned all the oil, gas, and sulphur that can be removed from beneath the real property.  This exclusion shall be made without providing the owner of the oil, gas, or sulphur any right of ingress or egress to or from the surface of the land to explore, develop, drill, or mine the real property.

(e) Subsection (a) does not authorize the commission to condemn property that is used and dedicated for cemetery purposes under Subtitle C, Title 8, Health and Safety Code.  1

1  V.T.C.A., Health & Safety Code § 711.001 et seq.

Cite this article: - Texas Transportation Code - TRANSP § 203.051. Acquisition of Property Authorized - last updated April 14, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Was this helpful?

Thank you. Your response has been sent.

Copied to clipboard