(a) The sale of an article of clothing or footwear designed to be worn on or about the human body is exempted from the taxes imposed by this chapter if:
(1) the sales price of the article is less than $100; and
(2) the sale takes place during a period beginning at 12:01 a.m. on the Friday before the 15th day preceding the uniform date prescribed by Section 25.0811(a), Education Code , without regard to any exception authorized by that section, before which a school district may not begin instruction for the school year, and ending at 12 midnight on the following Sunday.
(b) This section does not apply to:
(1) any special clothing or footwear that is primarily designed for athletic activity or protective use and that is not normally worn except when used for the athletic activity or protective use for which it is designed;
(2) accessories, including jewelry, handbags, luggage, umbrellas, wallets, watches, and similar items carried on or about the human body, without regard to whether worn on the body in a manner characteristic of clothing; and
(3) the rental of clothing or footwear.
FindLaw Codes are provided courtesy of Thomson Reuters Westlaw, the industry-leading online legal research system. For more detailed codes research information, including annotations and citations, please visit Westlaw.
FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.