Skip to main content

Texas Property Code - PROP § 82.102. Powers of Unit Owners' Association

Welcome to FindLaw's Cases & Codes, a free source of state and federal court opinions, state laws, and the United States Code. For more information about the legal concepts addressed by these cases and statutes, visit FindLaw's Learn About the Law.

(a)?Unless otherwise provided by the declaration, the association, acting through its board, may:

(1)?adopt and amend bylaws;

(2)?adopt and amend budgets for revenues, expenditures, and reserves, and collect assessments for common expenses from unit owners;

(3)?hire and terminate managing agents and other employees, agents, and independent contractors;

(4)?institute, defend, intervene in, settle, or compromise litigation or administrative proceedings in its own name on behalf of itself or two or more unit owners on matters affecting the condominium;

(5)?make contracts and incur liabilities relating to the operation of the condominium;

(6)?regulate the use, maintenance, repair, replacement, modification, and appearance of the condominium;

(7)?adopt and amend rules regulating the use, occupancy, leasing or sale, maintenance, repair, modification, and appearance of units and common elements, to the extent the regulated actions affect common elements or other units;

(8)?cause additional improvements to be made as a part of the common elements;

(9)?acquire, hold, encumber, and convey in its own name any right, title, or interest to real or personal property, except common elements of the condominium;

(10)?grant easements, leases, licenses, and concessions through or over the common elements;

(11)?impose and receive payments, fees, or charges for the use, rental, or operation of the common elements and for services provided to unit owners;

(12)?impose interest and late charges for late payments of assessments, returned check charges, and, if notice and an opportunity to be heard are given in accordance with Subsection (d), reasonable fines for violations of the declaration, bylaws, and rules of the association;

(13)?adopt and amend rules regulating the collection of delinquent assessments and the application of payments;

(14)?adopt and amend rules regulating the termination of utility service to a unit, the owner of which is delinquent in the payment of an assessment that is used, in whole or in part, to pay the cost of that utility;

(15)?impose reasonable charges for preparing, recording, or copying declaration amendments, resale certificates, or statements of unpaid assessments;

(16)?enter a unit for bona fide emergency purposes when conditions present an imminent risk of harm or damage to the common elements, another unit, or the occupants;

(17)?suspend the voting privileges of or the use of certain general common elements by an owner delinquent for more than 30 days in the payment of assessments;

(18)?purchase insurance and fidelity bonds it considers appropriate or necessary;

(19)?exercise any other powers conferred by the declaration or bylaws;

(20)?exercise any other powers that may be exercised in this state by a corporation of the same type as the association; ?and

(21)?exercise any other powers necessary and proper for the government and operation of the association.

(b)?The declaration may not impose limitations on the power of the association to deal with the declarant that are more restrictive than the limitations imposed on the power of the association to deal with other persons.

(c)?To be enforceable, a bylaw or rule of the association must not be arbitrary or capricious.

(d)?Before an association may charge the unit owner for property damage for which the unit owner is liable or levy a fine for violation of the declaration, bylaws, or rules, the association shall give to the unit owner a written notice that:

(1)?describes the violation or property damage and states the amount of the proposed fine or damage charge;

(2)?states that not later than the 30th day after the date of the notice, the unit owner may request a hearing before the board to contest the fine or damage charge; ?and

(3)?allows the unit owner a reasonable time, by a specified date, to cure the violation and avoid the fine unless the unit owner was given notice and a reasonable opportunity to cure a similar violation within the preceding 12 months.

(e)?The association may give a copy of the notice required by Subsection (d) to an occupant of the unit. ?The association must give notice of a levied fine or damage charge to the unit owner not later than the 30th day after the date of levy.

(f)?Except as provided by Subsection (g), the association by resolution of the board of directors may:

(1)?borrow money; ?and

(2)?assign as collateral for the loan authorized by the resolution:

(A)?the association's right to future income, including the right to receive assessments; ?and

(B)?the association's lien rights.

(g)?If a dedicatory instrument requires a vote of members of the association to borrow money or assign the association's right to future income or the association's lien rights, the loan or assignment must be approved as provided by the dedicatory instrument. ?The board may determine whether a vote for that purpose may be cast electronically, by absentee ballot, in person or by proxy at a meeting called for that purpose, or by written consent. ?If a lower approval threshold is not provided by the dedicatory instrument, approval requires the consent of owners holding 67 percent of all voting interests.

Cite this article: - Texas Property Code - PROP § 82.102. Powers of Unit Owners' Association - last updated April 14, 2021 |

FindLaw Codes may not reflect the most recent version of the law in your jurisdiction. Please verify the status of the code you are researching with the state legislature or via Westlaw before relying on it for your legal needs.

Copied to clipboard