(a) This chapter applies to:
(1) any action to recover damages or other relief arising from a construction defect, except a claim for personal injury, survival, or wrongful death or for damage to goods; and
(2) any subsequent purchaser of a residence who files a claim against a contractor.
(b) Except as provided by this subsection, to the extent of conflict between this chapter and any other law, including the Deceptive Trade Practices-Consumer Protection Act (Subchapter E, Chapter 17, Business & Commerce Code) 1 or a common law cause of action, this chapter prevails. To the extent of conflict between this chapter and Title 16, Title 16 prevails.
(c) In this section:
(1) “Goods” does not include a residence.
(2) “Personal injury” does not include mental anguish.
(d) This chapter does not apply to an action to recover damages that arise from:
(1) a violation of Section 27.01, Business & Commerce Code ;
(2) a contractor's wrongful abandonment of an improvement project before completion; or
(3) a violation of Chapter 162.